Tuesday, June 07, 2005

STORY OF A DOG AND A BABY

OFF TOPIC, I KNOW, BUT THIS BLOG IS VARIED FOR A REASON. THIS WILL BE GOOD FOR COUPLES WHO HAVE PETS AND CHILDREN AND USUALLY GIVE UP THE PET BECAUSE OF A NEW BABY IN THE HOUSE. DON'T DO IT.
Way, way long ago when I was pregnant with my youngest child, now 21, I had this German Shepherd called Moses. The closer I got to delivery time, the more he was under my feet. If I laid down in bed to rest or took a nap, he would lie across my door so I had to learn to be really carefull so I wouldn't trip over him. He was just always there. It was kind of comforting in a way, a little aggravating in other way because I always had to watch my step. He was a great dog though.
When I had to go to the hospital, I arranaged for my first child's grandparents (His father had died in 1978) to take him and the dog whom they also loved. As soon as I had the baby and my son learned he had a baby brother, he made his grandfather bring him home asap so he could see the baby. I really wanted him to stay with his grandparents until I got home but he won out. They did keep the dog for a short bit anyway.
A week after I came home, my in-laws arranged to bring the dog back. When Moses came into the house, he stood at the bottom of the stairs looking up them, so I told him he could go up. He bounded up the stairs into the bedroom where the baby was; I followed him up and he was standing there staring at the crib and I told him "go ahead." He stuck his nose between the slats to see the baby and plunked himself down right beside the crib. The baby had an immediate protector. Any time the baby was in the crib, he laid down beside it and never left that spot. Wherever the baby went, so did the dog. If I put the baby in his carriage and then outside on the deck, the dog would lie beside him. And there is no way you can move that dog from the baby.
One time, another dog was walking the back path between the condo's and Moses, not being an aggressive dog, would go after the other dog with a vengence, protecting his little baby. It was just amazing.
When I hear about couples who give up their pets (dogs and cats) after having a baby, I want to tell you that you are making a big mistake. They bond immediately and will protect that child with their lives. Keep your pet, keep your cat, keep your dog - they are your best defense and your baby's best friend. They automatically adopt and protect the baby and would never do anything to hurt your child.
As the child grows, your pet and in my case, my dog, Moses, let that kid do just about anything to him for his job that he took on himself was to protect that child from day one and they keep on doing that, so if you sneak in the bedroom to check on your child and watch him or her sleep, don't forget the dog or you'll trip over him. Your pet is your child's best friend. Accept it, adjust to it, watch the bond and smile.
It's also a good thing for a baby to have a pet that will watch over him or her, too. It helps with allergies, asthma, fear later on in life and it's just overall good for the kid.
So for those who give up their pets because they're having a baby, don't do it - it's the best friend your child will ever have and remember, like children, a pet is for life. Pets are not throwaways; they are lifetime keepers.
(cat: personal)